Essential equipment for bouldering
Everything you need for a great bouldering session:
- Bouldering mat - an important safety item (see Using mats).
- Brushes - take a range of brushes, from a simple toothbrush to a brush on extendable poles and a large soft brush. These can be used to brush off excessive chalk build up or to clean off sandy or gritty holds.
- Chalk and chalk bag - small or large, it's up to you.
- Climbing shoes - ideally two pairs: one pair soft and comfortable (perhaps an older pair) and another closer fitting pair for more precise climbing.
- Foot rag - especially important in winter to dry your shoes when the ground is wet.
- Slack line - makes resting more 'fun'(!)
- Starting mat - a dry, clean surface to start from once you have dried your boots.
- Skin care survival kit - finger tape, sandpaper, scissors, nail clippers, elastoplast, painkillers and super glue.
Andrew Earl is a professional climber and climbing coach for regional and national teams. For many years he has been at the forefront of the British climbing scene. Andrew was British Bouldering Champion for three consecutive years, competed for Great Britain at international level for 5 years and was winner of the 2007 World Cup round in La Reunion.
FIND YOUR NEXT GOAL
1000's of events, challenges and trips to choose from...
Find my next goal
Need any help?
If you would like any help or advice, please contact our helpdesk.
Email us Chat now