- When setting off outdoors, tell someone where you are going and for approximately how long.
- Avoid areas that are dark, where there is cover that someone could hide in and where there are not many people.
- Be aware of what is going on around you - don't wear a personal stereo, for example, and do all you can to avoid potentially dangerous situations.
- If you do run in quiet areas, run with someone else.
- Join a club or women's running group if you don't know anyone to run with.
- Run with a mobile phone and be prepared to call someone who can help if you get in difficulty - if you have a 'speed dial' facility, use it.
- Consider running with a personal alarm.
- Take self defence lessons.
- If you see lone males detour if possible and remain vigilant.
Sarah Coope is a nutrition and fitness consultant who has achieved 3rd Hawaii Ironman, is 6 times European Triathlon Champion and many times British Triathlon Champion. She was awarded the British Triathlon Gold Pin in 2009 in recognition for her significant contribution to triathlon. She provides personalised training plans through fitness company Team Bodyworks XTC
FIND YOUR NEXT GOAL
1000's of events, challenges and trips to choose from...
Find my next goal
Need any help?
If you would like any help or advice, please contact our helpdesk.
Email us Chat now