Winter walking checklist
Below is a checklist that will help prepare for any winter walking trip:
Before you leave home:
To be worn
- Check weather forecast
- Check avalanche forecast
- Check road conditions
- Check guide book
- Fold map to correct section
- Plan route
- Make packed lunch
- Fill flask
- Personal equipment
To be carried
- Thermal top (not cotton!)
- Thermal long johns (not cotton) for very cold conditions
- Fleece or warm trousers (not cotton)
- Fleece jacket
- Good quality mountain socks
- Four season leather, or plastic, boots
To leave in the car ready for your return
- Rucksack 45-50 Litres with waterproof liner
- Ice axe
- Spare crampon strap
- Waterproof trousers
- Waterproof jacket
- Spare fleece
- Wool or fleece hat
- Wool or fleece balaclava
- Neck gaiter
- Gloves (at least two pairs)
- Thick mitts (for use in emergency)
- Ski goggles (double lens versions are best)
- Map in waterproof case, with a spare in the party
- Compass, with a spare in the party
- Head torch with spare bulb and battery
- Sun cream, protects against the wind as well as the sun.
- Spare food
- Flask of hot drink
- Bivi bag
- First aid kit, keep it simple
- Mobile phone (should not be relied on and only used in serious emergencies).
Group Safety Equipment
- Change of clothes
- Flask of tea
- Group shelter, large enough to accommodate the party
- Spare fleece or lightweight duvet jacket
- Rope, 30m x 9mm
- First Aid kit, it is worth considering carrying one kit in the group, and individuals can carry any personal medication and a blister kit.
Bruce Goodlad is an International Mountain Guide with experience from Antarctica to the Himalaya. He is most often found climbing and guiding in the Alps, where he runs the Mountain Adventure Company
. He is passionate about sharing his love for the mountains and mountain adventures including climbing, mountaineering, biking and skiing.
FIND YOUR NEXT GOAL
1000's of events, challenges and trips to choose from...
Find my next goal
Need any help?
If you would like any help or advice, please contact our helpdesk.
Email us Chat now