Kit checklist for traditional climbing
There's nothing more embarrassing than to arrive at a crag only to discover that you've left something essential behind. Here's a checklist of stuff you should consider taking:
Consider taking a selection of clothing (unless you know for sure that you're not going to need it). You should certainly take food and drink.
- Rock shoes - technical shoes for short hard climbing, comfy shoes for long climbs
- Chalk bag and chalk
- Ropes - single or double depending on the climb but usually a minimum of 50m - 60m ropes are more versatile though just marginally heavier to carry
- Belay device and screwgate karabiner
- Rack - selection of wires, hexes and camming devices suitable for the climbs you intend to do
- Quickdraws - mainly all the same length but a couple of slightly longer ones might be useful
- Slings and screwgate krabs - about three should do for most climbs
- Spare screwgates - a couple
- Nut key
- Prusik and a Ropeman for emergency rescues
- First aid kit
If you know that you are going to need to abseil, perhaps to clean a new line or into a sea cliff climb, consider the following:
- Light shell top
- Spare fleece
- Gloves and hat (for belaying on cold winter days)
- Down jacket (for belaying on cold winter days)
- Liquid - minimum 1.5 litre for hot days. Flask of something warm on cold days
- Energy foods - light but effective high energy bars usually taste foul but they do the business
- Butties - your favourite
- Chocolate - loads of it
- Static rope - more durable than a climbing rope for repeated abseils
- Gear to leave for the abseil anchor so that it doesn't use up your precious rack items
- Wire brush - for cleaning mud, grime and moss off essential holds when doing a new line.
Nigel has been an International Mountain Guide since 1979, is author of several climbing books and also works as a photographer
. He has climbed and guided in many mountain areas of the world and uses his 30+ years experience to inspire and develop other climbers, skiiers and trekkers.
FIND YOUR NEXT GOAL
1000's of events, challenges and trips to choose from...
Find my next goal
Need any help?
If you would like any help or advice, please contact our helpdesk.
Email us Chat now