Starting out in women's climbing
Libby Peter explodes a few myths about women climbing and talks about the reality and practicalities of trying climbing for first timers.
More and more women are now climbing as a leisure activity. That's not so surprising, as there are no good reasons for women not to enjoy climbing as much as men.
- You do not need bulging muscles to be able to climb.
- You do not need the mentality of an SAS soldier, just a cool head at times.
- You do not need a whole pile of expensive equipment to start out.
- You do not need to go out in the wind and the rain - there are indoor walls and accessible sun rock venues.
- Women use footwork and technique to compensate for strength.
- There are nearly as many women as men using climbing walls.
- Climbing is an excellent way to stay fit and healthy.
- Climbing is exciting and great fun.
- Most indoor climbing walls have taster sessions for you to see if you like climbing.
- You can hire all the equipment you need to start.
- Climbing walls and outdoor centres run short outdoor courses for you to have a go and learn the basics in safety.
- The British Mountaineering Council (BMC), climbing magazines and Club section of this website will have details of clubs in your area many of which encourage beginners.