Starting out in women's climbing
More and more women are now climbing as a leisure activity. That's not so surprising, as there are no good reasons for women not to enjoy climbing as much as men.
- You do not need bulging muscles to be able to climb.
- You do not need the mentality of an SAS soldier, just a cool head at times.
- You do not need a whole pile of expensive equipment to start out.
- You do not need to go out in the wind and the rain - there are indoor walls and accessible sun rock venues.
- Women use footwork and technique to compensate for strength.
- There are nearly as many women as men using climbing walls.
- Climbing is an excellent way to stay fit and healthy.
- Climbing is exciting and great fun.
- Most indoor climbing walls have taster sessions for you to see if you like climbing.
- You can hire all the equipment you need to start.
- Climbing walls and outdoor centres run short outdoor courses for you to have a go and learn the basics in safety.
- The British Mountaineering Council (BMC), climbing magazines and Club section of this website will have details of clubs in your area many of which encourage beginners.
Libby is a highly qualified mountain leader with over 25 years experience, having worked as an instructor at Glenmore Lodge and Plas y Brenin and also having travelled the world seeking out the best climbs. She offers bespoke guiding, instruction and coaching sessions in climbing and mountaineering in her local area of North Wales - one of the best areas in the UK for outdoor sports.
FIND YOUR NEXT GOAL
1000's of events, challenges and trips to choose from...
Find my next goal
Need any help?
If you would like any help or advice, please contact our helpdesk.
Email us Chat now